Monday 15 August 2016

LATELY // MALTA


I thought I would do more of a chatty post about what I have been up to lately.  

As you have probably noticed I have been frequenting hotter climates.  I went on holiday with the girls, and other members of my family, to Malta for nearly two weeks.

And oh my!   I needed that holiday after the year I have had so far.  Getting away sounded amazing and having a bit of a break from reality and every day routine.

As I said in a previous post the holiday allowed me to lay a lot of things to rest and now I feel able to move forward properly in a really positive mindset.


But I thought I would do a more general post about Malta and all it has to offer just in case you are looking for somewhere to escape to.

I have been to Malta numerous times and we generally stay near Valletta which is the capital city.  It is a historic centre with much to see for those who enjoy a little trip down history lane: I am a bit of a history geek so yes it is perfect for me.  

There are many things to see and do but my favourite this time was the Malta at War Museum.  I found this so interesting as you can explore the tunnels that were dug out to be air shelters in WWII.  Malta was bombed extensively and imagining being cooped in these dark narrow tunnels for hours at a time, well it was eye opening especially when you con sider that it was not relatively that long ago.  


Valletta is also surrounded by two harbours which means that you can easily charter a boat or take an organised boat trip to explore the island from the sea.  It is nice just to watch the boats coming in and out.  Luckily I could do this from my balcony: and I have to say there is something so relaxing about the water and just watching all the boats just sailing by.

As I have explored so much of Malta before (if you want more ideas of what to do etc. feel free to tweet me) I decided that this holiday I just wanted to relax and chill: take some time to properly wind down.  Which meant there was quite a bit of time spent by the pool as the girls love being in the water and Ava is so close to swimming it is unreal.  Just seeing their happy faces and hearing their giggles was worth having to jump into freezing water...the swimming pools were so cold!

In the morning we did a little of pottering and exploring: going across the the Three cities on the boat; eating far too much ice-cream; fitting in some shopping and just watching the girls run around in the gardens.

I was rather hesitant about this holiday.  With it being my first holiday as a single parent I was worried to say the least as I knew it had the potential to be very emotional and testing.  But it was amazing and exceeded my expectations as did I.  

I was probably more concerned about my own reactions but I have to say I was so proud of myself and had the best time.  I just relaxed and enjoyed being in the moment and observing how the girls were enjoying all the new experiences and just the joys of being on holiday.

Ava said it was the best holiday ever and I will always remember that.  We did it the three of us, the three musketeers, and we had the best time ever.  I love my girls.

So to anyone booking a trip and a little reluctant and doubtful, go for it!  It could be one of the best things you ever do and you might even surprise yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment